Chapter 1 - Manual Labour in Murim (1)

〚Translator - FableWarder〛

"Huh?"

When I came to my senses, an unusual scene caught my eye.

Something felt strange.

"What is this?"

A street that looked like an old-fashioned setting unfolded before my eyes.

Where am I? Is this the Joseon era? No, this is quite different from the Joseon I know. It feels more like a Chinese setting.

"............…"

Looking around, I saw people wearing genuinely old-fashioned clothes walking about. The buildings also had an ancient feel.

Could this be a historical drama set?

For a moment, that thought crossed my mind, but it couldn't be. Didn't I rush out and head home? Was it all a dream? Do I have some sort of sleepwalking disorder? That didn’t make sense. That insane director was too vivid and detailed to be a figment of a dream. It was too real to be a mere dream.

Moreover, if I had such a sleepwalking condition, my aunt would have noticed it first.

"What on earth?"

The situation was so sudden that I couldn't feel any sense of reality at all.

While such thoughts were surfacing...

"Catch him!"

"Thief!"

"Today is the day we'll finally catch you and put you away for good!"

—Swish!

Suddenly, some people appeared, running like professional sprinters, jumping over walls and showcasing acrobatic moves as they climbed buildings.

"Wow!"

Who are these guys, doing parkour so well?

It looked like they were chasing a thief, but it was impressive. Both the chaser and the one being chased were running and jumping as if parkour was their daily routine.

Their skills were so professional that I couldn't help but be amazed.

I remember trying parkour after watching "Yamakasi" in middle school and ending up with a fractured shin. Such acrobatics are not for everyone.

"Wow."

Did those guys have similar experiences?

Thinking that we might share similar memories made my heart warm and pleased... but let's move on. A more shocking scene caught my eye. The man chasing had a sword in his hand.

"Cutting Blade!"

He shouted something that sounded like a martial arts technique and swung his sword!

Even a light burst out from the sword!

"What the...!"

What on earth is this?

My jaw dropped, and I sat down in shock, clutching my head.

It was such an astonishing sight that I overreacted.

—Shiver.

At the same time, chills ran down my spine.

"Martial arts?"

Something clicked in my mind.

A Chinese-style background.

The man performing a light-body technique, suddenly brandishing a sword and emitting sword energy. This seems unbelievable, but what I just saw was real. Even if I rubbed my eyes and looked again, it was reality.

That means...

Is this really a martial arts world?

"Crazy...!"

As I realized this, fear began to take over.

I'm in the Murim?

Really?

Suddenly, I felt incredibly scared.

I was so terrified that my legs were trembling...!

"Did he get away?"

"Chase the thief! We must catch him!"

I'm not lying when I say my spine felt hot, and cold sweat dripped from my forehead. Not only that, my head felt dizzy... Martial arts! Martial arts practitioners flying and swinging swords in a world where martial arts exist!

I've read some fantasy and martial arts novels, so I had a rough idea! I've also read novels where someone suddenly ends up in such a world, but now that it's reality, it was nothing short of a nightmare!

But I was really in such a place!

"This can't be...!"

There's no way a modern person like me could survive in the Murim!

Enjoying such a thing while reading is one thing, but when it becomes reality, it's a disaster!

—Swish!

Terrified, I just ran. I was experiencing a real panic attack. I couldn't help but run. I fled and kept fleeing, feeling like an ostrich burying its head in the sand.

"...Status window!"

Oh, right!

A status window!

"Status window!"

I shouted reflexively, but no status window appeared.

"No!"

There's no status window?

How is this possible?

This situation is absurd! Not having a status window in such a scenario is like going against the trend! If one suddenly ends up in another world, isn't it standard to have a status window?

No way!

Conversely, isn't it trendy nowadays not to have a status window?

Unbelievable!

I've ended up in the Murim!

I never imagined I would be in such a martial arts world!

"Huff, huff!"

It felt like my heart was about to explode.

I tried to calm my racing heart by taking deep breaths. Surprisingly, I was still in the Murim. I thought I would return home if I regained my senses, but I really was in another world.

Suddenly, with no warning.

"Damn...!"

I need to get a grip.

It's hard to believe that I've come to another world, but this is reality.

It's not a dream or an illusion; it's definitely real.

In that case, I must find a way to survive somehow.

Whether it's the Murim or anything else, a person needs to eat to survive. There's no aunt here to cook for me. But what should I do? I know I'm in Murim, but I have no other knowledge. If I had at least entered a familiar martial arts novel, I could figure something out, but I have no clue here.

Zero knowledge.

Surviving without knowledge is tough.

So do I really have to die here?

At that moment, my mind cleared up.

"No...!"

I can't have such weak thoughts!

My motto was to survive anywhere once I become an adult. With that mindset, I left my beloved aunt's care and became a responsible, confident, and cool member of society.

If I keep my wits about me, it won't be any different from surviving in society.

—Swish.

I wiped my face with my sleeve.

First of all, it seems like I can communicate. I don't know how a Korean can understand the Murim language, but just being able to talk greatly increases my chances of survival.

Good.

Let's move.

Without money, I can't eat. While I still have some energy, I need to find a way to make money. Staying still to conserve energy is useless if I starve in a day or two. I can't do anything in a state of starvation.

I need to find out something before I get hungry.

"Let's do this."

Finding work to survive.

Fortunately, I'm used to such experiences.

Moreover, with the situation already unfolding, I must believe that I can manage and move forward.

Whoever threw me into the Murim is dead meat. If I ever find them, I'll kill them for sure.

Anyway, let's move.

—Bustle, bustle.

As I moved, I arrived at what seemed like a shopping street.

"How much is this?"

"Only 50 coins."

"It seems we need to haggle a bit."

"No, sir. This is already a good price."

People are haggling over all sorts of items. Watching them have me an idea.

Ah, that's right.

First, I need to learn the language and the market prices. That is the first step to blending in with society, right? In this extreme situation, my brain was working rapidly to find ways to survive. This could be called the result of my trained happiness circuit.

They say that the indigenous people of some remote South American tribe believe in something called a "willstone" within them. When subjected to excessive stress, it cracks with a sound like "pakin," potentially taking their life, but if the willstone doesn't break, they believe they can overcome any trial.

I felt my willstone was still intact.

Remembering that, I observed the shops and watched the merchants and customers, like a North Korean spy gathering local information.

"Hahaha! You have such a good eye, sir. So, I'll only charge you one silver coin for this!"

"How can this be worth one silver piece? Half a piece should suffice."

"That's not right, sir."

From what I could see, cheap goods were traded for several coins, while more expensive items required silver pieces.

I've read martial arts novels, so I know what these were.

Usually, people carry around small silver coins called "silver taels" and cut them with scissors to pay for things, but they don't just use silver pieces. They also use coins to buy cheap items.

But it looks like they use coins quite a bit.

It was quite rare to see someone take out a silver tael.

It seems that commoners mostly used coins.

So, I walked around, observing the market prices, when a delicious smell wafted from somewhere... What is this delightful aroma? It's making my mouth water. I want to ask my aunt to make me some ramen, but that's not possible here.

I can't resist this.

Let's check it out.

[Daegak Restaurant]

I found a restaurant with a sign that read "Daegak Restaurant."

The delicious smell was coming from here. I'm really glad I can read the sign. If I couldn't speak the language, I'd be a corpse by now.

"One serving of dumplings, please!"

"Yes! That'll be 10 coins!"

Is dumpling a meal?

Or a side dish?

One serving of dumplings for 10 coins... Good. I'm gathering survival knowledge.

After accumulating some knowledge, I checked my appearance.

"I'm a bit dirty."

Fortunately, I happened to be wearing an extra costume from a historical drama set, so I blended in well with my surroundings. Though my clothes were a bit dirty, it actually helped me blend in better. Everyone here looks similar to me. With this outfit, I wouldn't be suspicious even if I entered a shop.

So I went to a fabric store in front.

"Welcome, sir!"

"Hmm."

I greeted him with a light bow and looked at the clothes on display. They were plain clothes. The kind of clothes that commoners would wear. They were different in style from the ones I was wearing, but there wasn't much difference.

"Are you looking for something in particular?"

"I think I need to look around a bit."

"Yes, sir."

I tried using the speech pattern I learned from observing earlier, and it didn't seem to raise any eyebrows. Maybe I did have a talent for acting? Once I get home, I should seriously consider pursuing a career in acting. If I become an actor, I'll be able to show off to my aunt.

And I have to make that director permanently banned from the filming industry and get him to publicly apologize to the whole nation. Then I'll hire him as my sparring partner and spar with him every day.

My grudge was not cheap... As long as I'm alive, I'll have to get my payback someday.

We'll see.

So.

"Shopkeeper. Where would be a good place to look for work in this city?" I asked him slyly while pretending to choose clothes.

Will he give me a good answer?

"Ah, sir. It looks like you're from out of town?""Yes, I am.""Is this your first time in Anhui City?"

Anhui City!

This guy said the name I know!

So this was Anhui City!

Fortunately, I was not completely ignorant of martial arts. Anhui City was located somewhere near the right side of the continent, and if my martial arts knowledge was correct, then Namgung Se-ga must be here.

"I came from Hannam City."

"Ah, so you came from Hannam. Anyway, there are plenty of places to work. Since you don't seem to be a martial artist, I think you should go to the Dahaebang if you're looking for work."

"Dahaebang?"

"It's a place that brokers all sorts of jobs. You should be able to find work there."

Isn't this the nicest person in the world?

He's telling me all this!

I've never met such a kind person in my life!

"Hehe, thank you, shopkeeper. You're a very kind person."

"You're welcome."

I got the information I needed.

I bowed my head at a 90-degree angle and ran away like I was escaping. It's pretty rude to just get information and leave without buying anything. Maybe that's why. I felt a sense of shame as I was overcome with embarrassment.

I guess I should have bought something to get the information.

But I can't help it... I know I should, but what can I do if I don't have any money? Instead, I'll make sure to buy clothes here whenever I have money in the future.

With that in mind, I sorted out the information I had just heard.

"Dahaebang."

From the description, it sounded like a kind of employment agency.

I guess I'll just go and check it out.

My next destination was Dahaebang.


■━■━■━■



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post