Chapter 2 - Manual Labour in Murim (2)

〚Translator - FableWarden〛

I used a similar approach to ask around and find the Dahaebang.

It was a slightly larger building, and as I observed the people walking around and listened to their conversations, I realized that it was indeed like an employment agency.

"People are the same everywhere."

Whether in the martial arts world or not, one must work to put food on the table. Thinking that way made this martial arts world feel somewhat familiar. My aunt never gave me anything for free. I did all the housework. These memories remain warmly in my heart.

Anyway.

It was still morning, or rather, it seems like it was close to lunchtime.

Usually, jobs are available earlier in the morning, so it could be said that it's a bit late now. But if I can't find a job here, I might have to sleep on the streets for real.

No.

If I don't have money, I'll really have to sleep on the streets.

Sleeping on the streets is dangerous...!

"Damn it."

Even in modern Korea, being homeless without preparation was extremely dangerous. Freezing to death was just a minor issue compared to other dangers.

In most cases, nearby homeless people would try to beat you up, claiming the territory as theirs. In the worst-case scenario, teenagers might come around at night, wielding wooden sticks, trying to impose order. If you're unlucky, you might even get robbed by middle schoolers who kill people for fun and cross the three rivers. There's also a high chance of being attacked by bandits or robbers.

If it's like this in Korea, someone like me becoming homeless in the martial arts world would be 100% likely to disappear without a trace, like the unfortunate European state of Baskonia in the 19th century.

I need to find a job somehow.

"............."

The door of the Dahaebang was open.

After watching people enter for a while.

"Hello."

I greeted them and slipped inside.

When I went in, I saw that people were standing in line, so I went over and joined the line.

At first glance, they all seemed like people who were looking for work, and I thought that was a good thing. It was reassuring to see that there were a lot of people who came as late as I did.

With this atmosphere, I might be able to blend in. Cheer up, Kim Geun-hyeop. You'll somehow make it.

Arm yourself mentally with a positive mindset!

Even the people who live in Futaba Park in Japan, like Mr. Siljangseok, live hard every day. I'm not going to be worse than them.

"............."

As I waited, I focused on what the person in front of me was saying.

"Any job is fine. If there's anything I can do right now, please let me know."

"A construction site will do. Take this token to Dagumjeonjang. They need a lot of workers for an expansion. When you're done, return this token."

"I understand."

A construction site, huh?

"Phew...!"

My heart was racing.

Hell yeah, manual labor was my specialty!

I might actually survive this!

— Thump thump!

My heart was pounding as I saw a glimmer of hope for survival.

Survival!

What a beautiful word! If I can get a job here, I can survive. As I saw hope, I naturally gained confidence.

"Next!"

Is it my turn?

"Hello."

"Hmm? You look like you can handle some work?"

"Hahaha, I hear that often."

I responded appropriately and smiled to make a good impression. The basics of social life were positive responses and smiles.

Ah, but.

Come to think of it, am I taller than most people around here? Living as a modern person might have been more advantageous in terms of nutrition compared to living as a commoner in the martial arts world. Anyway, this is a positive factor. A guy who looks strong is always welcome at a construction site.

"I'm very confident in physical labor. So if there's any construction work, I'd like to do it. Do you have any?"

"Of course. Take this token and go to Dagumjeonjang. They need a lot of workers for their expansion. Someone like you, who looks strong, will be popular there."

"Dagumjeonjang!"

I shouted like a martial artist and asked.

"Where is Dagumjeonjang?"

I haven't read a lot of martial arts novels, but I know you must shout when you hear proper nouns like this. Especially when hearing an alias of a martial artist or witnessing someone's martial arts, you must shout.

"You don't know?"

"I'm not sure."

"Go out and head left. You'll see the sign."

The guide handed me something that looked like a token.

"This?"

If there's a sign, I should be able to find it.

"It's a token that shows you were sent by Dahaebang. Show it and start working."

"Ho, got it. Then."

Are there a lot of jobs like this?

It seems they have a well-established system for hiring and managing day laborers. I'm curious about this, but it's not important right now. The structure and appearance of society vary everywhere.

I immediately headed to Dagumjeonjang.

"Let's see... Oh."

There was a sign as I walked.

Following the sign, I indeed found a large construction site; shirtless laborers were working hard.

How nostalgic.

"Wow."

But the building is huge.

Is this what they call a pavilion ?

How much money do these people make to be expanding on this scale? Dagumjeonjang. Judging by the nuance, it seems like a bank or a large pawnshop, but a pawnshop expanding like this seems unlikely, so it's probably a bank or a loan shark business.

With such thoughts, I greeted loudly.

"Hello! I'm here from Dahaebang to work! Do you need workers? I'm good with a shovel!"

"Hmm?"

Honestly, it's a bit embarrassing to speak loudly and draw attention from so many people, but I can't afford to worry about that now.

If I mess this up, I'm dead.

I, Kim Geun-hyeop, am a brave man who can endure a moment of embarrassment for the sake of survival. Now is the time to showcase my existence and abilities.

"Your voice is loud! And you're tall! Come this way!"

"Yes!"

Is that guy the supervisor?

He looks like a supervisor, so I greeted him loudly again.

"Hello! Can I start working now?"

"Of course you can! You said you're good with a shovel? Go to that digging area and follow their instructions!"

"Got it. Here's the token from Dahaebang."

"Hmm. Okay. It's almost noon, so you can earn about 50 coins if you start now."

50 coins!

According to my research, that's enough to get by for a day!

Awesome!

I see a way to survive!

"Really? Then how much can I earn if I come early in the morning?"

"If you don't slack off, 100 coins!"

"Got it!"

After bowing my head in thanks, I headed to the digging area.

"Hey, over there. Take this shovel."

"Yes."

As I arrived, a guy with a disgruntled expression handed me a shovel.

"Go down there and keep digging. If you slack off, I'll kick you out immediately. I'm watching you."

"I understand."

This guy's sour face and his informal speech make my inner dark dragon rise, but this isn't modern Earth.

You need to pick your battles wisely here.

In such places, it's best to keep your head down.

Let's get started.

If I showed good work here, they might ask me to come back tomorrow. If I have a regular job, there's nothing to fear. I'll use my well-honed survival skills to secure my existence.

—Swoosh!

I immediately jumped down into the pit.

"Is this the spot to dig?"

"Dig."

"Yes!"

I observed how the other laborers were working.

"Hmm."

I roughly gauged their level.

Pathetic, I want to die.

How dare you call yourselves laborers with such shovel skills?

You're all at a lower level than me. That's not how you dig. Let me show you the secret shovel technique honed during my two years in the army.

—Swish!

I confidently made the first dig, demonstrating the true power unleashed by my anger.

"Unstoppable impulse, Dejaavu!"

I lightly thrust the shovel in, then pushed it deeper with my weight, and used the leverage to easily scoop out a chunk of earth.

With this, I had taken one shovel full, and smoothly moved on to the next move, throwing the scooped earth out of the pit using my lower body and waist strength.

—Swish!

I repeated this at a moderate pace.

This was the art of shoveling.

The pride of Kim Geun-hyeop.

"Oh, oh...! That guy's pretty good!"

"Why is he so skilled?"

"Is he a seasoned worker?"

The other laborers nodded in admiration of my shoveling technique.

This was the skill of a professional.

"........."

I noticed that the supervisor was also watching me silently.

This bastard. Is he finally going to recognize my true worth?

No matter what, if I act like I'm good at this job, I'll be remembered. In Korea, eating at a construction site means facing the raw violence of nature, so there's no way I'm going to let my pay be eaten away, but this is the martial arts world. I need to make my presence known so that I can prevent any possible wage non-payment incidents.

For now, let's just focus on that.

"Phew!"

Sweat was dripping down as I shoveled.

I was hungry, but I can eat when I get paid.

As I imagined eating rice, I felt a sense of being alive for the first time. That's right. Whether it's the martial arts world or the real world, life is all about making do with what you have. If you can find a way to survive no matter where you are, you can do anything...

No, but what am I doing shoveling and breaking my back in the martial arts world…….?

Isn't it normal to learn martial arts and swordsmanship? Usually, when you go to another world, you should do something cool, but I'm shoveling like a dog on my first day. It's kind of pathetic.

ㅡSshhhk!

And so, my first day in the martial arts world passed.

■━■━■━■

Previous Chapter〕■〔Next Chapter


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post