〚Translator - FableWarden〛
"Work is done! Let the workers go home with their money!"
As the sun began to set, the work was over.
"Whew. It's finally over."
"Kyaaah! I'm so tired! So tired!"
"Let's go quickly!"
No matter where you go in the world, it is always lively at quitting time. Watching the workers cheering happily made me feel happy too.
The workers started returning their equipment and lining up. I followed suit and stood in line, watching the situation. I guess if I just act like I know what I'm doing, more than half of the battle is won.
I looked ahead and saw that they were distributing wages.
This is exciting.
"Hehe."
I waited with a smile, and it was my turn.
"Here. 50 coins for your daily wage."
"Thank you."
I quickly counted the coins and put them in my pocket.
This was touching.
Was this my first wage in the martial arts world?
I definitely received 50 coins.
An overwhelming feeling of emotion filled my heart. It's hard to earn money, but it feels good to receive it. I felt like I could scream or do a backflip out of joy. Or giving a speech of joy while tearing my hair out.
"Oh, and you did a good job today. It'd be nice if you came again tomorrow."
"Of course!"
Here it comes, a love call!
I'll definitely come tomorrow!
"Khahaha!"
I couldn't help but burst out laughing!
Feeling great, I left the construction site.
50 coins.
With this, I have no worries.
I can live another day.
Well, let's see. Didn't they tell me to go back to Dahaebang after work? I guess I'll go there first and then to the inn.
"Ah..." I sighed, feeling relieved.
"That's right... adaptability. That's my strong suit."
After all, I'm someone without a place to call home. Didn't I leave my aunt's house too? Maybe that's why I was able to adapt quickly at my age.
Who in the world would look for a job and try to survive in the martial arts world after only one day? This is something that only I, Kim Geun-hyeop, could do.
I need to stay confident.
"Here, I'm here to return the work token," I said upon reaching Dahaebang. When I returned to Dahaebang, there were many workers like me who were returning their tokens, and I returned my token after observing the situation for a while.
I feel like I'm getting more and more used to this world by observing and reading situations like this.
But a question arose in my mind.
"Excuse me, can I ask you something?"
"What is it?"
"I went to work at the Dagumjeonjang today through the introduction of Dahaebang and received my wages, but do I have to pay Dahaebang separately?"
"What are you talking about? We always get a receipt when we send you guys out. That means your wages have already been deducted."
These guys were outsourcing, huh?
"I see."
My curiosity was satisfied.
With that, I walked out of Dahaebang.
ㅡGrumble
"Ugh, I'm starving."
Was it because I've been shoveling hard all afternoon? I was so hungry I felt like I would pass out. Not only that, but I was drenched in sweat and wanted to wash up, though I'm not sure if I can do that properly here.
Let's find an inn first.
I heard from the other workers that they all stay at inns. They said it usually costs about 20 to 30 coins per night.
I have 50 coins, so…
"One meal and a night's stay, that's it."
They said I could earn about 100 coins if I start working in the morning. So if I allocate 30 coins for lodging and 50 coins for food, can I save about 20 coins a day?
No, that's not right.
I need to think carefully about food expenses.
This was the Murim world. It was not the affluent Earth I used to live in. In places like this, proper nutrition was crucial, but food was scarce in pre-modern worlds. If I don't manage to eat a balanced diet with carbohydrates, proteins, and vitamins, I'll soon become weak... If I fall ill due to malnutrition, it's game over.
In a sense, I'm like an American now.
An extremely obese American without health insurance, at that. I'd like to flaunt my 200kg belly fat and elephant-like legs covered in calluses, claiming my body is healthy, strong, and beautiful, but unfortunately, I'm an Asian with a small pancreas.
If I fall ill without any savings, it's certain death. To avoid such a future, I must sleep under a roof and consume proper nutrition.
The 10-coin dumplings were clearly the worst in terms of nutritional balance.
To get proper nutrition, I need to spend money wisely.
"Ah, let's fill my stomach first for today!"
I headed towards the inn I had inquired about earlier.
The inn was called Munro Inn. Unlike taverns that only served food, inns like this offered lodging as well.
I didn't know there was such a difference between inns and taverns.
Anyway, as I walked, the Munro Inn came into view.
"Hmm."
With money in my pocket, there was nothing to fear.
I entered confidently.
"Hahaha! So then! I went and...!"
"You're lying again!"
"I'm telling you, it's true!"
The atmosphere was bustling.
As soon as I entered, the smell of food and alcohol wafted through the air... Wait, why were there so many seats? And it was not even dark despite being nighttime.
"Welcome! How many in your party?"
"Just one."
"This way, please."
Was this the famous inn worker?
Following his lead, I sat at a single-person table in a corner.
"What would you like to order?"
"Before that, inn worker, I'd like to stay here tonight. How much is it?"
"Lodging is 30 coins."
That leaves me with 20 coins.
"How much are the dumplings and noodles?"
"10 coins each."
"I see. That must be the cheapest meal available."
"Isn't it the same everywhere? Please order quickly."
Did this guy notice I'm broke? His attitude suddenly changed. Well, I guess with his experience, when a seemingly poor guy comes in asking about dumplings and noodles, of course he'd look down on me. If I were in his shoes, I'd probably want to beat up this beggar-like fellow too.
"How much does a meat dish start at?"
But it's not like he was going to hit a customer.
I asked brazenly.
"The chicken gizzard and vegetable dish is the cheapest at 30 coins."
"Chicken gizzard and vegetable?"
"It's a stir-fry of chicken gizzards, innards, and vegetables with seasoning."
Gizzards and innards?
Sounds pretty tasteless.
Ah, I guess it was cheap because they used these odd parts instead of actual meat.
Still, from what I heard, it seemed like a dish where I could get some protein. But I don't have the money, damn it.
After 30 coins for lodging, I only have 20 left...!
"Next is the sparrow dish at 30 coins."
"Sparrow dish?"
"It's grilled sparrow. They're small enough to eat whole."
"Oh!"
That sounds quite good!
I'll try it next time when I have money. Eating a whole sparrow, bones and all. It sounds nutritious.
"Alright! Inn worker! I'll have the dumplings and noodles then!"
"...Understood."
"And I'll be staying the night too!"
"...I'll bring your food and room token."
I immediately took out all my 50 coins and handed them to the inn worker. He counted the coins and turned away. Usually, you're supposed to tip the inn workers, but I don't have the money for that.
I've spent all the money I earned working hard today.
"Phew."
At least I'll get to eat something.
As I rubbed my hungry stomach, I looked around. Everyone was eating and chatting noisily, and I noticed quite a few people carrying swords or sabers.
Swords, huh.
Are they really Murim people? I saw them earlier using light body techniques and walking on air. I quickly lowered my gaze, not wanting to make eye contact and potentially start trouble.
From what I know, Murim people have nasty tempers. There were many serial killers, thrill killers, or obligatory killers who claimed to be Murim people. In such a place, if a common person like me walked around carelessly, I'd likely get beaten up legally and have all my possessions rightfully taken away.
Anyway, this really was the Murim world.
"Your food is ready, sir."
As I was thinking, the inn worker brought the food.
"Oh."
The noodles were exactly that - noodles. A simple dish of white noodles in a slightly brown broth, probably from some soy sauce. It looked quite appetizing.
The dumplings? They looked like two large, white steamed buns. I liked that they're quite big. These guys seemed to be more generous than I thought.
This amount of food for 20 coins should keep me from starving.
"Ah, inn worker. Where can I use water?"
"There's a well on the first floor. You can wash up there. Since you're staying the night, feel free to use it."
"I see."
So I can wash up.
But what about a towel?
Is it because I arrived here with nothing? I was severely lacking in daily necessities. I felt like I needed at least a towel and a bag to manage some semblance of a life.
Should I work at construction sites for a while, save up, and buy such things?
"It's not like I'm trying to match game items or anything..."
It's surprising that I have to work day by day to match my "equipment". And it seems like all of it will go towards consumables rather than actual gear.
Well then.
Let's have my first meal in the Murim world.
Everything was so white, and the carbohydrate content seemed extremely high. But I'll have to make do with this for now, starting to eat better from tomorrow.
Let's start with the noodles.
I picked up some noodles with my chopsticks and swirled them around to soak up the broth. After letting them absorb the soup...
Slurp—
I immediately put them in my mouth and sucked them up.
"Hmm...!"
Was the seasoning a bit bland? The taste was quite different from the noodles I was used to. To put it simply, it tasted awful. But hunger was the best sauce! I never thought I'd find such bland food delicious, but it really was tasty!
"Ah!"
As the hot noodles entered my body, I felt a warmth spreading through me, making me feel alive.
I immediately grabbed the bowl and drank the broth.
"Whoa...! Phew!"
Eating this spicy noodle soup, I felt like a food connoisseur.
I'm easily surpassing the level of the legendary strongman Kang.
Maybe I'm unexpectedly well-suited for the Murim world?
This was surprisingly delicious!
Now, let's try the dumplings. Looking at these steamed bun-like dumplings made my mouth water. There must be some meat or noodles inside.
Thinking this, I took a big bite... but wait?
"What the hell, there's no filling?!"
I tried another bite, but there was absolutely no filling!
This was just pure bread!
Ah, this was infuriating!
These bastards were selling dumplings without any filling!
"Augh...!"
Although it was just tasteless pure bread, I was hungry. Swallowing my disappointment, I dipped the dumpling in the noodle broth to soften it before putting it in my mouth.
This way, it was somewhat edible.
But I really didn’t understand. Even if they're Murim people, how could they live eating dumplings without filling? They're truly insane. If I were the leader of the Murim Alliance, I'd treat anyone selling fillingless dumplings as a great evil. That was the only way this Murim world would become healthier.
Still... tasting it, I think it might go well with a seasoned meat dish. Alright, let's try that next time.
With these thoughts, I finished all the noodles and dumplings.
"Burp."
Maybe it was because there was no meat.
I didn't feel particularly full. But what could I do? I didn’t have money. In times like these, it was best to conserve energy and sleep early. I need to go to work early tomorrow morning. I picked up the token on the table. It was a kind of key, I suppose. I should be able to enter the room written on it.
But does this mean I'll have to work tomorrow morning on an empty stomach?
Earlier, I saw the workers eating from their own lunchboxes. I wonder if I could buy something like that at the inn? Since I didn’t have a bag, it would be good to buy some portable rations that I could put in my pocket.
I stood up from my seat.
Instead of going to my room right away, I went to look for the well they mentioned. Indeed, when I got there, I saw a few people washing up naked. They were even drinking the water.
I miss water purifiers... Do they use this water for drinking and washing?
I took off my clothes and waited for a moment before using a scoop to pour water over my body to wash.
"Ugh!"
The water was freezing cold...!
Was this well blessed by some ice elemental Ifrit?
"Brr."
After washing in the cold, I patted my body dry with my shirt. Without a towel, there was no other choice. I'll hang this in the room to dry by tomorrow.
It might smell, but I'll have to bear with it.
Then I went up to my room.
Creeak—!
"Mother of..."
The state of the room was, to put it kindly, the worst, and to put it unkindly, absolutely terrible. I thought there would be a bed, but there was just a blanket and a quilt spread on the floor of the small room with a tiny pillow. 30 coins for one night in a place like this? It was maddening. Damn Murim bastards.
"Sigh."
A sigh escaped me.
"I miss you, Aunt."
Compared to my aunt's house, this was hell. But I was so tired. Having just arrived in the Murim world and taken such a mental beating, I really had no energy left.
Swishh—!
I lifted the blanket and lay down.
Like a pillbug or woodlouse crawling into a crack in a rock.
I curled up to protect myself from neighboring centipedes or cockroaches.
— Wahahahaha!
— Hahahaha!
— Innkeeper! Another bottle of wine!
— Give me one Kung Pao Chicken here!
When I closed my eyes, I could hear the noisy sounds from below. Don't these uncivilized Murim bastards have any concept of noise between floors? Imagining slaughtering them all, I gave in to my fatigue. It was quite noisy, but I was so tired that sleep was rapidly overtaking me.
"Sniff."
I fell asleep with a tear rolling down my cheek.
I miss the comfort of my aunt's embrace.
"Work is done! Let the workers go home with their money!"
As the sun began to set, the work was over.
"Whew. It's finally over."
"Kyaaah! I'm so tired! So tired!"
"Let's go quickly!"
No matter where you go in the world, it is always lively at quitting time. Watching the workers cheering happily made me feel happy too.
The workers started returning their equipment and lining up. I followed suit and stood in line, watching the situation. I guess if I just act like I know what I'm doing, more than half of the battle is won.
I looked ahead and saw that they were distributing wages.
This is exciting.
"Hehe."
I waited with a smile, and it was my turn.
"Here. 50 coins for your daily wage."
"Thank you."
I quickly counted the coins and put them in my pocket.
This was touching.
Was this my first wage in the martial arts world?
I definitely received 50 coins.
An overwhelming feeling of emotion filled my heart. It's hard to earn money, but it feels good to receive it. I felt like I could scream or do a backflip out of joy. Or giving a speech of joy while tearing my hair out.
"Oh, and you did a good job today. It'd be nice if you came again tomorrow."
"Of course!"
Here it comes, a love call!
I'll definitely come tomorrow!
"Khahaha!"
I couldn't help but burst out laughing!
Feeling great, I left the construction site.
50 coins.
With this, I have no worries.
I can live another day.
Well, let's see. Didn't they tell me to go back to Dahaebang after work? I guess I'll go there first and then to the inn.
"Ah..." I sighed, feeling relieved.
"That's right... adaptability. That's my strong suit."
After all, I'm someone without a place to call home. Didn't I leave my aunt's house too? Maybe that's why I was able to adapt quickly at my age.
Who in the world would look for a job and try to survive in the martial arts world after only one day? This is something that only I, Kim Geun-hyeop, could do.
I need to stay confident.
"Here, I'm here to return the work token," I said upon reaching Dahaebang. When I returned to Dahaebang, there were many workers like me who were returning their tokens, and I returned my token after observing the situation for a while.
I feel like I'm getting more and more used to this world by observing and reading situations like this.
But a question arose in my mind.
"Excuse me, can I ask you something?"
"What is it?"
"I went to work at the Dagumjeonjang today through the introduction of Dahaebang and received my wages, but do I have to pay Dahaebang separately?"
"What are you talking about? We always get a receipt when we send you guys out. That means your wages have already been deducted."
These guys were outsourcing, huh?
"I see."
My curiosity was satisfied.
With that, I walked out of Dahaebang.
ㅡGrumble
"Ugh, I'm starving."
Was it because I've been shoveling hard all afternoon? I was so hungry I felt like I would pass out. Not only that, but I was drenched in sweat and wanted to wash up, though I'm not sure if I can do that properly here.
Let's find an inn first.
I heard from the other workers that they all stay at inns. They said it usually costs about 20 to 30 coins per night.
I have 50 coins, so…
"One meal and a night's stay, that's it."
They said I could earn about 100 coins if I start working in the morning. So if I allocate 30 coins for lodging and 50 coins for food, can I save about 20 coins a day?
No, that's not right.
I need to think carefully about food expenses.
This was the Murim world. It was not the affluent Earth I used to live in. In places like this, proper nutrition was crucial, but food was scarce in pre-modern worlds. If I don't manage to eat a balanced diet with carbohydrates, proteins, and vitamins, I'll soon become weak... If I fall ill due to malnutrition, it's game over.
In a sense, I'm like an American now.
An extremely obese American without health insurance, at that. I'd like to flaunt my 200kg belly fat and elephant-like legs covered in calluses, claiming my body is healthy, strong, and beautiful, but unfortunately, I'm an Asian with a small pancreas.
If I fall ill without any savings, it's certain death. To avoid such a future, I must sleep under a roof and consume proper nutrition.
The 10-coin dumplings were clearly the worst in terms of nutritional balance.
To get proper nutrition, I need to spend money wisely.
"Ah, let's fill my stomach first for today!"
I headed towards the inn I had inquired about earlier.
The inn was called Munro Inn. Unlike taverns that only served food, inns like this offered lodging as well.
I didn't know there was such a difference between inns and taverns.
Anyway, as I walked, the Munro Inn came into view.
"Hmm."
With money in my pocket, there was nothing to fear.
I entered confidently.
"Hahaha! So then! I went and...!"
"You're lying again!"
"I'm telling you, it's true!"
The atmosphere was bustling.
As soon as I entered, the smell of food and alcohol wafted through the air... Wait, why were there so many seats? And it was not even dark despite being nighttime.
"Welcome! How many in your party?"
"Just one."
"This way, please."
Was this the famous inn worker?
Following his lead, I sat at a single-person table in a corner.
"What would you like to order?"
"Before that, inn worker, I'd like to stay here tonight. How much is it?"
"Lodging is 30 coins."
That leaves me with 20 coins.
"How much are the dumplings and noodles?"
"10 coins each."
"I see. That must be the cheapest meal available."
"Isn't it the same everywhere? Please order quickly."
Did this guy notice I'm broke? His attitude suddenly changed. Well, I guess with his experience, when a seemingly poor guy comes in asking about dumplings and noodles, of course he'd look down on me. If I were in his shoes, I'd probably want to beat up this beggar-like fellow too.
"How much does a meat dish start at?"
But it's not like he was going to hit a customer.
I asked brazenly.
"The chicken gizzard and vegetable dish is the cheapest at 30 coins."
"Chicken gizzard and vegetable?"
"It's a stir-fry of chicken gizzards, innards, and vegetables with seasoning."
Gizzards and innards?
Sounds pretty tasteless.
Ah, I guess it was cheap because they used these odd parts instead of actual meat.
Still, from what I heard, it seemed like a dish where I could get some protein. But I don't have the money, damn it.
After 30 coins for lodging, I only have 20 left...!
"Next is the sparrow dish at 30 coins."
"Sparrow dish?"
"It's grilled sparrow. They're small enough to eat whole."
"Oh!"
That sounds quite good!
I'll try it next time when I have money. Eating a whole sparrow, bones and all. It sounds nutritious.
"Alright! Inn worker! I'll have the dumplings and noodles then!"
"...Understood."
"And I'll be staying the night too!"
"...I'll bring your food and room token."
I immediately took out all my 50 coins and handed them to the inn worker. He counted the coins and turned away. Usually, you're supposed to tip the inn workers, but I don't have the money for that.
I've spent all the money I earned working hard today.
"Phew."
At least I'll get to eat something.
As I rubbed my hungry stomach, I looked around. Everyone was eating and chatting noisily, and I noticed quite a few people carrying swords or sabers.
Swords, huh.
Are they really Murim people? I saw them earlier using light body techniques and walking on air. I quickly lowered my gaze, not wanting to make eye contact and potentially start trouble.
From what I know, Murim people have nasty tempers. There were many serial killers, thrill killers, or obligatory killers who claimed to be Murim people. In such a place, if a common person like me walked around carelessly, I'd likely get beaten up legally and have all my possessions rightfully taken away.
Anyway, this really was the Murim world.
"Your food is ready, sir."
As I was thinking, the inn worker brought the food.
"Oh."
The noodles were exactly that - noodles. A simple dish of white noodles in a slightly brown broth, probably from some soy sauce. It looked quite appetizing.
The dumplings? They looked like two large, white steamed buns. I liked that they're quite big. These guys seemed to be more generous than I thought.
This amount of food for 20 coins should keep me from starving.
"Ah, inn worker. Where can I use water?"
"There's a well on the first floor. You can wash up there. Since you're staying the night, feel free to use it."
"I see."
So I can wash up.
But what about a towel?
Is it because I arrived here with nothing? I was severely lacking in daily necessities. I felt like I needed at least a towel and a bag to manage some semblance of a life.
Should I work at construction sites for a while, save up, and buy such things?
"It's not like I'm trying to match game items or anything..."
It's surprising that I have to work day by day to match my "equipment". And it seems like all of it will go towards consumables rather than actual gear.
Well then.
Let's have my first meal in the Murim world.
Everything was so white, and the carbohydrate content seemed extremely high. But I'll have to make do with this for now, starting to eat better from tomorrow.
Let's start with the noodles.
I picked up some noodles with my chopsticks and swirled them around to soak up the broth. After letting them absorb the soup...
Slurp—
I immediately put them in my mouth and sucked them up.
"Hmm...!"
Was the seasoning a bit bland? The taste was quite different from the noodles I was used to. To put it simply, it tasted awful. But hunger was the best sauce! I never thought I'd find such bland food delicious, but it really was tasty!
"Ah!"
As the hot noodles entered my body, I felt a warmth spreading through me, making me feel alive.
I immediately grabbed the bowl and drank the broth.
"Whoa...! Phew!"
Eating this spicy noodle soup, I felt like a food connoisseur.
I'm easily surpassing the level of the legendary strongman Kang.
Maybe I'm unexpectedly well-suited for the Murim world?
This was surprisingly delicious!
Now, let's try the dumplings. Looking at these steamed bun-like dumplings made my mouth water. There must be some meat or noodles inside.
Thinking this, I took a big bite... but wait?
"What the hell, there's no filling?!"
I tried another bite, but there was absolutely no filling!
This was just pure bread!
Ah, this was infuriating!
These bastards were selling dumplings without any filling!
"Augh...!"
Although it was just tasteless pure bread, I was hungry. Swallowing my disappointment, I dipped the dumpling in the noodle broth to soften it before putting it in my mouth.
This way, it was somewhat edible.
But I really didn’t understand. Even if they're Murim people, how could they live eating dumplings without filling? They're truly insane. If I were the leader of the Murim Alliance, I'd treat anyone selling fillingless dumplings as a great evil. That was the only way this Murim world would become healthier.
Still... tasting it, I think it might go well with a seasoned meat dish. Alright, let's try that next time.
With these thoughts, I finished all the noodles and dumplings.
"Burp."
Maybe it was because there was no meat.
I didn't feel particularly full. But what could I do? I didn’t have money. In times like these, it was best to conserve energy and sleep early. I need to go to work early tomorrow morning. I picked up the token on the table. It was a kind of key, I suppose. I should be able to enter the room written on it.
But does this mean I'll have to work tomorrow morning on an empty stomach?
Earlier, I saw the workers eating from their own lunchboxes. I wonder if I could buy something like that at the inn? Since I didn’t have a bag, it would be good to buy some portable rations that I could put in my pocket.
I stood up from my seat.
Instead of going to my room right away, I went to look for the well they mentioned. Indeed, when I got there, I saw a few people washing up naked. They were even drinking the water.
I miss water purifiers... Do they use this water for drinking and washing?
I took off my clothes and waited for a moment before using a scoop to pour water over my body to wash.
"Ugh!"
The water was freezing cold...!
Was this well blessed by some ice elemental Ifrit?
"Brr."
After washing in the cold, I patted my body dry with my shirt. Without a towel, there was no other choice. I'll hang this in the room to dry by tomorrow.
It might smell, but I'll have to bear with it.
Then I went up to my room.
Creeak—!
"Mother of..."
The state of the room was, to put it kindly, the worst, and to put it unkindly, absolutely terrible. I thought there would be a bed, but there was just a blanket and a quilt spread on the floor of the small room with a tiny pillow. 30 coins for one night in a place like this? It was maddening. Damn Murim bastards.
"Sigh."
A sigh escaped me.
"I miss you, Aunt."
Compared to my aunt's house, this was hell. But I was so tired. Having just arrived in the Murim world and taken such a mental beating, I really had no energy left.
Swishh—!
I lifted the blanket and lay down.
Like a pillbug or woodlouse crawling into a crack in a rock.
I curled up to protect myself from neighboring centipedes or cockroaches.
— Wahahahaha!
— Hahahaha!
— Innkeeper! Another bottle of wine!
— Give me one Kung Pao Chicken here!
When I closed my eyes, I could hear the noisy sounds from below. Don't these uncivilized Murim bastards have any concept of noise between floors? Imagining slaughtering them all, I gave in to my fatigue. It was quite noisy, but I was so tired that sleep was rapidly overtaking me.
"Sniff."
I fell asleep with a tear rolling down my cheek.
I miss the comfort of my aunt's embrace.
Tags
Martial Arts